The thing that I have discovered about Walt Disney World, is that it just seems more magical at night. The lighting makes the parks prettier than they are during the day, and there is just an energy with the guest that are still there at night. Below are some of my favorite attractions that are just better at night.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – Let’s face it Big Thunder Mountain is not the most thrilling coaster. Like many of the attractions in the Magic Kingdom it was designed as a “thrill ride” that the family could enjoy together. At night though it is more thrilling, maybe the low light tricks your mind into thinking it is traveling faster than it is. At any rate I have always enjoyed this ride a lot more at night than during the day.
- The Jungle Boat Cruise – While you still get the same corny jokes that you get during the day, the Jungle boat cruise feels like a different attraction at night. The lighting for the attraction at night comes from the boat, which makes it feel more dramatic as you can not see the scenes until you are almost next to them. Another advantage of a night-time cruise is usually the lines are shorter at night.
- Kilimanjaro Safaris – Recently I rode Kilimanjaro Safaris in the evening for the first time. I was shocked, and pleasantly surprised at how active the animals were. I have been riding Kilimanjaro Safaris since my first trip to Animal Kingdom in 2000. In the 14 trips prior to my most recent trip, I had never seen the lions or cheetahs do anything other than sleep, but on my most recent trip I saw both species walking around in clear view of the ride vehicle. The big cats were not the only animals that were more active, it seemed like they all were.
- The Liberty Belle – The Liberty Belle is usually a relaxing ride around Tom Sawyer’s island that provides guest with fantastic views of Frontierland and Liberty Square. While the Liberty Belle normally closes at Dusk if you go on the last ride of the evening, you will be rewarded with beautiful views of Frontierland and Liberty Square with all of the lights on.
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover – Like the Liberty Belle, Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover provides a relaxing ride through the park. In the case of Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover that ride is through Tomorrowland, with some great views of Main Street and Cinderella Castle. At night these views are spectacular with Main Street and Cinderella Castle all lit up. This is especially true in the holiday season, when Cinderella Castle is decorated with it’s holiday lights.
- Pandora the Land of Avatar – The two attractions in Pandora are inside ride buildings, so no matter the time of day you get the same ride. The land however is much different at night. All the floating mountains, plants and even the walkways glow. The land also offers some unique Photopass opportunities at night.
So these are some of my favorites. What are some of yours? Please share if you like my work.